Sunday, April 15, 2012

City Sunday...DUMBO

I can safely assume that the word "Dumbo" triggers an image of a floppy eared baby elephant attempting to fly, and its safe to say that until last year, my brain would have associated the same cartoon imagery. But, my former boss/current friend introduced me to a new Dumbo when she took the leap and moved out of Manhattan to DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass).

I was incredibly skeptical and confused when she announced she was breaking her lease in her amazing loft style apartment overlooking Union Square to move to Brooklyn and of all places, a neighborhood named after an elephant, but it turns out the joke is on me. DUMBO is a very up and coming neighborhood in Brooklyn and despite being super trendy (yet more affordable than Manhattan) her apartment and many apartments in the area have views that are the epitome of a "million dollars".

Her apartment is located in a super cool, industrial building on a super charming cobble stoned street. Just a stone throw away from her front door is the park on the river as well as charming restaurants such as Bubby's & Water Street Restaurant and Lounge. Art galleries are in abundance as are fine food markets and unique retailers. And for those of us still living on the island who believe "Brooklyn is tooooo far" the cab from Gramercy Park to Union Square was less expensive than getting uptown- $11 bucks and change.

I have only been to the area at night- to enjoy the view, but its definitely on my list of places to explore while I am still living in New York City- and who knows, the views are so amazing, it may even convince me to permanently relocate - and hopefully here.

view from Ali's terrace in DUMBO last 4th of July


No comments:

Post a Comment